Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/h.c bay

Question
Hi,I have an h.c. bay baby grand. The ser# is 8403 the piano is in great condition, although needs new strings. Is it worth rebuilding, and what might it be worth before and after rebuild.

Answer
Hi Justin,

The serial number indicates the year of production which is 1918. To ascertain whether or not a piano is worth rebuilding and its value requires a visual inspection. In general, the cost of rebuilding a piano can be prohibitively expensive; the cost can easily surpass the value of the piano after the work is completed. The exceptions are premium brands that command high resale values such as Steinway, Bechstein, Mason & Hamlin, etc.

Have your technician look over the instrument and provide you with an estimate after visually inspecting it. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel