Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Piano learning at late age

Dear Joel,

I am 57 years old and both my kids aged 21 and 15 have been learning piano for 10 years and 5 years respectively.

I always had a desire to learn piano but could not manage the time and inclination. I wonder if its too late to learn a reasonable level of playing.

What would be best way to approach piano playing at this age?

With regards,

You can play piano at any age.  What you learn and are able to depends on what time you give it.  You can be as good as you choose or allow yourself to be.  Probably the first and most important lesson in playing the piano is to make it enjoyable.  It is something you "get" to do.  Be creative.  Start playing.  You'll enjoy it!  Joel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about playing the piano, playing technique, and piano literature.

I have played piano for over forty years. I have taught private piano. I have also played in church. I am especially interested in the piano as a music ministry. I have also written several compositions for piano.

I'm a past member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers.

Making Music Magazine Newsletter of the Illinois Country Music Association

BA, Behavioral Science, Oral Roberts University (1975) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary (1980) I have had courses in Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and in Hymnology