Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Schubert Serial Number

Hi, Sam

I have inherited a Schubert Upright Grand Piano. Serial number 33120. Any idea when it was made? Type of wood? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Has an interesting print logo on the inside ceiling (says, "Diploma" - surrounded by 2 'circles'; the 'circle' on the left refers to the Columbia Exhibition).

Thank you for your consideration, - ls

Hi Larry,

Your Schubert upright was manufactured in 1906 based on the serial number provided. Serial numbers help to determine the year of production but information such as the type of wood, style, etc. require a visual inspection of the instrument. Your piano tuner-technician can provide you with more information while he/she is servicing the piano. If you need a referral, contact the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org). Good luck.

Sam Noel

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Samuel Noel

I am a contracted piano technician for Steinway and Sons in New York handling warranty issues, prepping pianos for the showroom and delivery; I also serve the City University of NY as a piano technician. I am also self-employed in New York. I apprenticed (Manhattan School of Music)in 1982 and was factory (Steinway) trained in 1983. I have experience tuning, repairing, reconditioning, and appraisals. Please note that appraising an instrument involves a visual inspection and knowledge of the local market area. I am not an expert in player mechanisms, refinishing, electronic keyboards, midi, nor organs. I love the work of making an instrument sound concert quality.

I successfully apprenticed at the Manhattan School of Music under Alan Buchman and Peter Favant in 1982 (also received B.A. in music from same school) and employed by Steinway and Sons in 1983 as a tuner-technician. I also served as service manager for Steinway. Presently, I service pianos for CUNY and I handle warranty issues and tunings for Steinway.

The Piano Technicians Guild, New York Chapter

Manhattan School of Music, BA; American Management Association certificate (Steinway and Sons); Queens College, CUNY, MA