Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano playing

Question
Hi!
I have been looking a bit on non-piano instruments, eg the acoustic guitar. Will such things help me become a better pianist? I have looked at guitar strumming but I am not sure if that could help me with my piano playing? I was told to look at other instruments but I am confused since I don't understand how that could help. Should one even look at other instruments when learning piano? What do you think and what would be practical to do?

Answer
I'm not sure if playing another instrument will necessarily help you with the piano; however, skill at one may indirectly effect the other.  Every instrument is different.  For example, you have pedals on a piano, not on a guitar or sax.  Instruments have their own uniqueness, you blow or you pick.  What playing other instruments does is make you a more diverse musician. Now-days, a lot of people play many instruments.  I play piano, but also guitar, clarinet, saxophone, flute, trumpet, French Horn, and Flugelhorn. It is the excitement (and challenge) of playing.  Playing other instruments may indirectly influence your piano playing, but, really, it's best to work at the piano.  Other instruments add diversity, even character, to your playing.  (It could also make you a good studio musician!)

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling