Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Shafer & Sons Piano

Question
Looking at a Shafer & Son purchased 5 years ago ... it's a 5' Baby Grand TG0008983 ... $3,800.  It looks new and well cared for - is this a quality piano?  Where is this manufactured?  Is there a way to verify it's age from the serial number?

Considering BALDWIN GRAND PIANO
5'8 Serial # 21583
Built 1913
This piano has been completely restored by what appears to be a competent company - completely rebuilt with the highest quality parts.  $10,300  Is this totally dependent upon the reputation and ability of the restoration company?  Parts used?  etc.  Are there good reasons to buy something that old?

Answer
Hi Michael:

Schafer never made pianos themselves but formed relationships with other manufacturers to put their name on it.

Young Chang, Samick, Daewoo, Sojn and Schimmel were some of the factories building these piano.

Quality piano...not really. Before I considered buying, I would have it looked at by a Registered member of the Piano Technicians Guild. You can go to http://www.ptg.org to locate a technician in your area.

The serial number doesn't match any manufacturer I could find....but I'm thinking either Young Change or Samick as the suspects.

No to the Baldwin: I would have to know who rebuilt it, and the list of things that were done.

The quality of the rebuild is dependent on the reputation of the rebuilder and if they are a registered member of the piano technicians guild. In my shop a "totally" rebuilt piano starts at 28,000.00 so I'm a bit suspect.

Total Rebuilt means: New soundboard, bridges, pin block, action (hammers, hammer shanks, Hammer shank flanges, whippens, back checks, front and balance rail pins, all felts and cloth, Damper underlever system, damper guide rail, dampers, and refinishing.

Here again, I wouldn't do a thing before I had it inspected. And if the rebuilder balks at that, move on!

Also, I would want to see the warranty given...IN WRITING!

You may want to take a look at the Kawai line of Grand pianos. An R2 might just do you.

Buying a quality instrument, like the Baldwin from 1913, rebuilt properly is a special thing...but "rebuild Properly" is the catch!!!!!

You can always check to see if someone is a registered member of the Piano Technicians Guild by going to ptg.org, and look to where it says, "locate a technician". You have the opportunity to put a name in the query and see if it pops up.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti