Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Hobart & Cable

Charlene\'s piano
Charlene's piano  
QUESTION: I'm looking to buy a piano from my brother in law that belonged to my sister. No idea as to the value and I don't want to underpay him. Can you give a ballpark number?
Hobart & Cable console serial # 517179. It is maple, has a small scratch on top, but otherwise has been treated very well.
We live in the Portland Oregon area.

ANSWER: Hi David:

The piano was made in 1974 by Story and Clark.

If it is truly a console and not a spinet, somewhere between 900-1100.00 would be correct.

This is of course, without inspection.

I hope this helps.

Apollo 2
Apollo 2  
QUESTION: This helped a lot.
Thanks a lot.
My sister's piano will take the place of our family piano, which was in the house I was born in 63 years ago.
It is a Melville Clark Apollo player upright, built in 1911.  Serial # 19197.  It is in pretty decent shape, but without any of the inner player workings that were removed before I was born.  It was tuned when we moved it here in 1984, and not since.  A knowledgeable person once said of it, "all of the keys are a little out of tune the same amount, so it sounds pretty good."  I will miss the sound, but not the large dark mass in our living room.
I don't think it has a lot of $$ value, as these big old pianos are not in demand, I should think.  Maybe it would best be donated to a school, nursery or senior center?  I would appreciate your input.

Hi David:

You are correct in saying there is little value. These pianos were hot in the 1920's and 30's.

The player mechanisms were removed because restoring them was very expensive...thousands!

Donating is always an option.

A piano such as this from 1911 in great condition is worth around 150.00.

However, from over 100 years ago, it probably has age related issues like the pin block, etc.

I would suggest that the place to which you are thinking of donating it has it checked out first to make sure the piano is viable.

The alternative is disposition by a piano mover. They would charge you a "dumping" fee and then remove it.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.