Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/learning the piano

How does a serious piano player schedule his/her time? How much is playing piano and how much is theory/music theory? How much time and effort is needed and how much music theory is needed?

A beginning player should spend maybe a half hour to an hour practicing.  There is no fixed time.  How long does it take to perfect your lesson or what you are playing?  Always strive to play your best.  Resolve problems.  Avoid bad habits.  You take the time it takes to learn the music well.  As you play, you'll learn theory.  You'll learn about clefs, tones, intervals, and chords.  If you are a college piano major, you'll need a lot more theory, maybe three semesters.  Otherwise, you will learn theory as you play.  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about playing the piano, playing technique, and piano literature.

I have played piano for over forty years. I have taught private piano. I have also played in church. I am especially interested in the piano as a music ministry. I have also written several compositions for piano.

I'm a past member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers.

Making Music Magazine Newsletter of the Illinois Country Music Association

BA, Behavioral Science, Oral Roberts University (1975) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary (1980) I have had courses in Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and in Hymnology