Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Looking for history/info on this piano

Question
Winter piano
Winter piano  

Winter piano
Winter piano  
Hi Ralph! I always appreciate your prompt information on pianos. I have a new student looking at this piano to purchase. What can you tell me about it?

Winter & Company....serial # 296574

Answer
Hi Karen:

Winter was a fairly large piano company and this piano was made in 1952 just before it was to become the Aeolian American Piano Company in Memphis and East Rochester NY.

This is a spinet...a misnomer. The real spinet was a piano that was desk like in appearance with the strings running horizontally with a short keyboard. It was an instrument of the 17th century.

Why any company would try to mimic that by dropping the action below the level of the back of the keys is beyond my comprehension. There are more parts in a spinet action than the console, it is hard to repair, plays much more easily due to the mechanical advantage of the extra parts and is at the bottom of the rung when it comes to quality.

If you look closely at your first photo you see where the keys stop and the action goes deep behind them. Imagine trying to get that action out of there to make a repair.

So to the value. Since I can't touch it from here, I can only tell you these Winter, drop action pianos, go on, and on, and on...unfortunately.

In really great shape, the upper end of worth is 900.00.

If the piano has mechanical issues...that drops considerably. They (spinets) all have acoustic issues from birth!

A console would always be a better choice.

I hope that helped!  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti