Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/rhythm

When you play your keyboard percussion instrument it is very important to play with the right tempo and rhythm. How do you manage playing difficult/complex rhythms? At a concert I guess you don't really have time to think of what kind of rhythms to play. I struggle with rhythm. I am a musical person and it looks so easy when people play their instruments at a concert. But I just don't manage to play the exact right rhythm and tempo. Do you have any advice on how to become better at it?

Developing and maintaining rhythmic accuracy is a practice that applies to musicians from beginner through advanced levels; some pick it up naturally, others need to put a lot of effort into it. Sometimes a beginner has difficulty performing complex rhythms, yet the same individual might be able to perform them without any thought at an advanced level. On the other hand, a beginner might easily learn rhythms early on, yet struggle to maintain accuracy with complex rhythms when they are advanced. Basically, it's different for everybody. The key is in finding out how you can make the most of rhythms. As soon as an aspect of rhythms is easy, then master it, so that when you approach another aspect it might not be as difficult than had you not worked your way toward it. Also, it's important to learn them at a slow tempo and to incorporate countless repetitions into your practice routine. Make a routine of it. Avoid practicing it incorrectly, or you'll end up tripling your efforts just to get back on track. Seek out private lessons from an advanced musician. There are many approaches, several methods of mastering complex rhythms. Experiment a little with multiple approaches, then choose the one you feel most comfortable with, and go for it.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

The Doctor (Keyboard Percussion Only)

Please do not ask questions about piano, organ, serial numbers, appraisals, pricing, value, restorations, or when a particular instrument or device was made.

Keyboard percussion only: MARIMBA, VIBRAPHONE/VIBES, CHIMES, BELLS/GLOCKENSPIEL, etc. Thank you!

I answer a variety of questions about mallet keyboard percussion instruments.

When asking your question:
1. Please be clear in your message.
2. Provide an actual question(s).
3. Please keep it short and concise.
4. Save my one-question-per-day for someone else if you can find the answer on your own.

Thank you!

Several years professional experience.