Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Value of my Hallet, Davis & Co. Piano

I have a Hallet, Davis & Co. Piano.  The number carved in the back top left of the piano is 157988.  
There is a stamp under the lid that says Made in America by American Craftsman.  I think it's a studio piano.  Can you tell me the year it was built and the value of the piano.  The only other markings or numbers that I can locate is 36 FZ on the farthest left key under the lid.

Hi Kathleen:

The piano was made in 1937.

For a period, these pianos were my by Aeolian in Memphis, hence the sticker you found.

The value is really predicated on the status of the action, pin block, sound board/rib structure and bridges.

I'll assume this is about 50 inches high making it the usual upright configuration.

In top condition, 300.00.

I hope that helped!  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.