Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Baus Boudoir Piano

I have a Baus Boudoir Piano.
Inside the top there are four seals one of which you would have to see. Then there is the serial number.

Seal 1:  The Agricultural Society of the State of Delaware

Seal 2:  P Baus & Co for their Exhibit of Pianos 1884

Seal 3:  International Exhibition United States Centennial Commission MDCCCLXXVI

Serial #:  BAUS 11628

It needs some work. What I would not know. Tell me the quality and age if you would and how much money you would put into it.

Respectfully Yours,
Leon Petty

Hi Leon

The Baus Piano Company was based in New York and controlled by Jacob Doll.

Your number indicates a manufacturing date of c. 1896.

All of that cool stuff pasted on it is purely decoration with no real significance.

The quality is no more or less than other pianos of that era, and that age puts up many red flags.

This piano certainly has the normal age related issues...structural, acoustic, etc.

For every dollar you put into this piano, you might get a nickel back, and even completely restored it would not be as good as some of the mediocre pianos being made today. The lesser companies of today have "copying" on their side. They can see what the innovations are and implement them cheaply.

Your piano was prior to our present day knowledge of acoustics.

So the short answer to how much money I would put into it would be, "none". At least that is what I would tell you if you were my client.

And if some "restorer" tells you that if you give them 5000.00, the piano would be worth 15,000.00, tell them to give you 2,000.00 for it and they can sell it and make money...see how that goes...

Well...I hope that helped. I hate being the bearer of negative news, but if this saves your wallet...my work here is done...LOL

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: http://www.onestipiano.com Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: http://onestipiano.com/pages/history.html You can like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/onestipianoservice

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http://www.onestipiano.com. The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go http://onestipiano.com/pages/testimonials.html where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.