Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/F. Rosener Piano

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I aquired an F. Rosener Berlin piano a number of years ago. The lady I got it from was going to send it to the dump. Its in perfect playing condition. The only number I can find is the stamp 19832.

All I know about this company is that they were founded in Berlin in the early 1800's with practically all records lost during the war. If there is any record of this piano, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

ANSWER: Hi Laura:

Berlin, not to be confused with the Berlin Piano and Organ Company of Canada did in fact lose all records during the war.

The age will be impossible to determine if we can't match that serial number to a production run.

However, we may be able to tell you more about the piano if you supply me with pictures both inside and out.

In particular, if you take off the front cover and expose the workings, this may tell us a bunch.

Piano lid
Piano lid  

Front
Front  
QUESTION: There are 3 vertical tiers of hammers and 3 tiers of strings. It looks pretty complex. I'm not sure how to get the front off so will have to get photos when the piano tuner comes out next. All I know is that the inside looks far more complex then my other upright made in the early 1900s.

Answer
Hi Laura:

Is the piano technician registered with the Piano Technicians Guild?

If so, he/she can help me with the configuration of the action.

When you say "tiers", do you mean three sections side by side or one higher than the other.

If you lift the lid and look inside, you will notice fasteners on either side holding that front panel on.

The tuner will have to take it off to tune anyway...that's the time to get me those pictures.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti