Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/How to determine the age of a Kimball model #4245

I don't know much about pianos but, want to learn how to play.  In trolling craigslist I found two pianos in decent condition but can't really tell their ages.

Kimball model 4245 - serial number D93838
Gulbranson - 463718

The owner claims they have been recently tuned - and to my untrained ear they sound okay!

Can you please help - any information would go a long way.

Thank you.

Hi Nadia:

The Kimball was made in 1984.

The Gulbranson in 1957

The Kimball 42 inch console is more than likely the better buy.

I always suggest the following just to make sure:

Go to

There you can locate a local registered member of the piano technicians guild.

Tell them what you propose and have them come out to take a look.

Sometimes they will reduce the charge if you promise to use them as your technician.

In any event, there will be no surprises!

With regard to "just recently tuned" ...ask if it was done by a registered member of the guild.

If so...ask for the technician's name. You can use that same locator tool to verify their being a registered member. I you plug in their name and it doesn't some were given bad information.

If you have trouble with the look up, give me the name and I'll help.

Is there one owner of both this a retailer?????

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.