Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/Hoffmann

Question
The name
The name  
The piano
The piano  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph

A few years ago (8/8/11) you answered another South African regarding a Hoffmann (upright) as follows:

<snip>
2. There are several Hoffmann companies, all in Germany...and that is where I think your piano was manufactured.

3. All of the Hoffmann companies show only reference to their existence with no manufacturing data. It is not unusual for the old European companies to leave behind nothing by which to track them or their work, except for a lingering piano here and there.
<snip>

I just bought a baby Piano with the same branding (also in SA) and am trying to find out more about the instrument. The serial number is 366052.

Thanks

Jaco

ANSWER: Jaco:

Although there are no records of your serial number, I do believe this piano was made by C. Bechstein who used the name Hoffmann.

The Serial Number
The Serial Number  

The Piano from the rear
The Piano from the rea  
QUESTION: Thanks you very much for your reply Ralph.

I see now that I made a mistake with the Serial Number and that it is actually 336052. I have also attached an image of it.

Interesting that it matches the Zimmermann series for 1981 and that Zimmermann is now also a Bechstein Company. Could mine perhaps have been from Leipzig, East Germany originally?

Thanks again

Jaco

PS My apologies for the late reply; I only saw your response now

Answer
Hi again Jaco:

short answer...I doubt it. It could have been the Czech subsidiary of C. Bechstein.

Bechstein took over Zimmermann in 1992 however, and that number would have been somewhere around 1983...ish.

Zimmerman never listed Hoffmann as a manufactured Brand.  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti