Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano pedals

How do you decide how much to depress the sustain pedal when playing the piano?
Do you even depress it all the way? To me it sounds not always that good if I depress it all the way.

You depress the piano pedal about like the accelerator of a car.  In a car, you depress it as fast as you want to go, with a piano, you depress the pedal enough to get the volume you want and to make the music smooth and even.  It takes practice, just as it does to drive.  In many cases, music will have a chart beneath the bass line to show how to depress and lift the pedal.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling

I can answer general questions about playing the piano, playing technique, and piano literature.

I have played piano for over forty years. I have taught private piano. I have also played in church. I am especially interested in the piano as a music ministry. I have also written several compositions for piano.

I'm a past member of the National Guild of Piano Teachers.

Making Music Magazine Newsletter of the Illinois Country Music Association

BA, Behavioral Science, Oral Roberts University (1975) MA, McCormick Theological Seminary (1980) I have had courses in Music Appreciation, Music Theory, and in Hymnology