Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/piano pedals

Question
Hello!
How do you decide how much to depress the sustain pedal when playing the piano?
Do you even depress it all the way? To me it sounds not always that good if I depress it all the way.

Answer
You depress the piano pedal about like the accelerator of a car.  In a car, you depress it as fast as you want to go, with a piano, you depress the pedal enough to get the volume you want and to make the music smooth and even.  It takes practice, just as it does to drive.  In many cases, music will have a chart beneath the bass line to show how to depress and lift the pedal.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Joel Bjorling