Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/victorian rosewood square grand piano/organ

My son just acquired the above mentioned piano manufactured by gilbert & Co. with a J.S. Ivers organ attachment, serial number 3490.We're trying to find out historical information, date of manufacture and possible value after refurbishing.
He has re-built a Steinway model O from 1922 and is getting ready for another challenge.

Hi Andrew:

These old "coffins" were popular at one time.

The worth is in the eye of the owner.

As a long time rebuilder, I would always caution rebuilding square pianos on speculation of worth!!!!

First off...action parts must be custom made. I did this for a lot of rebuilders. The only person that benefited from that was I.

So your son can do this out of a labor of love...but worth won't come from it.

The piano was manufacture c. 1860.

It will need complete restoration: sound board, block, bridges, action!!!

For every dollar invested in either parts or labor you will net a penny.  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti

I am a Registered/tested member of the Piano Technicians Guild (RPT) with 49 years of experience in all phases and levels of the acoustic piano. I will answer any questions regarding acoustic pianos only. All questions and answers are to remain public. Please to not include sensitive material! If they are marked private, I will change them to public. My answers may be of assistance to others. If privacy is an issue, please contact me through my web site: Electronic keyboards, organs, and player/reproducing piano mechanisms are outside of my expertise. Anything to do with: Construction, Service, Tuning, Climate Control Systems, Piano Disc, Purchasing, Selling, Insurance Appraisal, Rebuilding, Repairs, Legal issues, Maintenance, Environmental issues, Finish issues with acoustic pianos. My full resume can be found at: You can like us on Facebook at:

In business since 1964, Extensive Rebuilding/Repair/Service facility. A certified, tested, member of the Piano Technicians Guild, Member of the Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. Have performed piano service on Concert Stage, Recording Studios, and in the home. Http:// The shop's work comes from all over the world from private clients or other techncians.

The Piano Technicians Guild, Master Piano Technicians of America, Technical Advisory Service to Attorneys. (TASA), IAPBT. The Piano Technicians Guild is the only organization in the US that offers a certification test to become Registered. There are no "factory authorized techncians".

The Piano Technicians Journal

Attented Temple University, Drexel University, Philadelphia Community college all in the areas of engineering and Music. I taught a two semester course in Piano Technology and the related acoustical physics at Temple University. I have taught extensively for the Piano Technicians Guild and the Master Piano Technicians of America.

Service Award for the Rose Tree Media School District in Pennsylvania. Chapter Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild.

The list is rather extensive. I would suggest you go where there is a comprehensive list of clients past and present.