Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/R J Wade Piano

Question
Front of the piano
Front of the piano  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

My mother in law has had a piano sitting in her spare room for years now that she wants to get rid of. I checked it out today to have a look to sort out selling it for her, I am a keen piano player myself and was surprised to see it was an Athelstan piano, a brand which I have never seen before. Below it has a plate saying 'Wade, Peckham London'. I was wondering if you could tell me any more information about this piano brand, as all my searches on the internet have brought me to this page. Also any indication you could give me regarding a price to sell it for. In the inside lid it has W9971 inscribed.

Thank you, I appreciate any information you can give me!
Sarah Close

ANSWER: HI Sarah:

Well...I did a bunch of looking.

I looked in modern references and historic ones as well.

Neither the name Athelstan, nor Wade pop up anywhere.

This means they either made so few pianos there are no records...unlikely, or, and this is my guess, the name on the piano was that of a retailer for which the piano was made by a factory of another name.

With regard to worth, with no comparables against which we can pit this it is tough.

I can see only the name in your photo.

Is this a vertical or a grand piano?

More pictures would help.

full piano
full piano  

inside piano
inside piano  
QUESTION: Hi Ralph,

Thankyou for your reply! I've just been cleaning up the piano, it hasn't been very well looked after at all. I suspect we will have to give it away for free, though I do think it's not so far gone that it won't be playable with a good tune, i always think it's such a shame to see a piano go.

It's a vertical piano, I have attached another photo of it!

Answer
Hi again!

See where ti says, "British Manufacture"...that may be a generic name.

And, the green cloth does not look old enough to be original...wonder if the piano had some work performed.

If it is viable, it's probably worth 100 Euros...ooooopppsss...wait long enough and we go back to pounds...sorry...bad humor.

In any case, sell or give away, make sure the recipient uses a professional piano mover. Three guys, daddy's pick up and a 6 pack of beer is a recipe for disaster.  

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Ralph Onesti