Piano, Organ, and Keyboard/No sound from Baldwin PS1000 piano

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I have a Baldwin Ps1000 piano.  All the lights and buttons seem to be functioning, but no sound comes out.  I made sure that the headphones are not in, There is a very slight humming sound but nothing else.  I also reset the piano according to the manual, but the manual seems to have no other troubleshooting adivice.  Any ideas on how to get it working would be apreeciated

ANSWER: Hello Brian,  Check to hear if sound is coming through the headphones.  If sound is there, we then know the amplifiers and sound generation is working.  The next thing would be to remove the top of the unit and check for any conductive debris lying on the printed circuit boards (things like aluminum chewing gum wrappers, paper clips, little nuts, screws or bolts).  Vacuum the dust and any debris out of the interior.  Also, make certain all the internal plugs are firmly seated into their sockets.  

Check that all external wiring to the PC boards is intact (i.e., chewing mouse presence or wire abrasion to the pedals.

Lastly, the voltages from the power supply will need to be checked for proper specs.  

The last two such instruments I have seen required I replace the amplifier modules.  So, try connecting a sound source to the unit's "aux in" ports.  If you hear the signal through the speakers loud and clear, the amplifiers are good.

Hope this helps!

Fuses
Fuses  
QUESTION: Hello Thomas
Thank you for your response.  It took me a while to do some more checking.  There is no sound at the headphones and a mic into the aux in made no noise through the speakers.   When II opened it up, I found that two of the fuses were blown, the lower two in the attached picture.  I purchased  and installed the fuses and the third from the top on flashed out imediately when I turned it on.  This fuse has a red wire that goes directly into the silver block in the picture.  I assume that is the amplifier?  The only place I can get any noise out of the piano is with headphones in the aux out in the back.  That plays all functions and the volume works as well, but no amplification as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thank you again in advance for your assistance!

Brian

Answer
Hello Brian!  Thank you for the picture.  The silver block you refer to is not the amplifier.  Rather, the amplifier is the small upright component at the bottom of the photo with 9 visible pins coming from it (there are actually more pins, but you can't see the rest of them in the picture).  There is a good chance this amplifier chip is bad.  I suspect this is the case because you mentioned you can hear the piano sound coming from the aux-out ports.  This suggests the power supply's logic voltages are correct and the sound generation (along with all the other functions) are also correct and running.

Two possibilities are, the amp, as mentioned, is bad, or the high current power supply voltage which feeds the amplifier has failed. At this point, without some troubleshooting, I have insufficient information to determine which is the case.

Since you mentioned the aux-out ports work, you can obtain a small stereo amplifier, hook its inputs up to the aux-out ports on the piano and obtain some small speakers to connect to the amplifier's outputs.  If money is tight, you may be able to either find speakers at a second hand store like Good Will or, if you are handy, you could hook the amplifier's outputs to the piano's internal speakers. If you do, make certain you disconnect the piano's internal speaker wires entirely.

If this is not possible for whatever reason, the amplifier chip(s) and power supply will need to be evaluated.

Piano, Organ, and Keyboard

Thomas Britanyak