Picture Framing and Art Preservation/cardboard-mounted canvas :(

Hi there,
I have two 18" x 24" acrylic paintings that were painted on cardboard-mounted canvas.  You know, the cheapies that curl once painted so that the final painting is on a concave surface.  The canvas is mounted on grey cardboard and wrapped so that an inch overlaps and covers the cardboard backing on each of the 4 sides.
Trouble is, these two paintings are really good and I wish to preserve them and frame them properly.
Is there a method that can be used to remove the canvas from the cardboard and mount them on stretcher strips?  Cost is not a factor because these are really good paintings.
Thank you for any direction you can give.

I would be very hesitant to recommend removing the canvas from the board. In theory it might peel off the board, but the handling and flexing of the canvas could damage the canvas itself, the paint, or both.

I would strongly recommend consulting a qualified conservator who could evaluate the boards and recommend options for either removing the canvas from the board or getting the board flat, a more likely option as it is less invasive.

You can find a qualified conservator in your area through the AIC website by clicking the Find a Conservator link on the right side of their homepage at www.conservation-us.org. The Conservation Center, located in Chicago, is also an excellent resource. You can find them at www.theconservationcenter.com.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF

I can answer questions about all aspects of framing, with special emphasis on preservation framing. Categories of artwork include works of art on paper, needlework, textiles, paintings on canvas and three-dimensional objects. Components of framing includes frames, glass/glazing, mats, mounting, their features and how to select them.

I have been a professional picture framer and educator in the field since 1994, including framing education for a major franchisor encompassing three brands and the Professional Picture Framers Association, and writing and teaching for DECOR Magazine.

Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) > Board member, PPFA > Member, Certification Board > Member, Chapter relations Committee National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR)

DECOR Magazine, 2005 - 2010 PPFA For Members Only newsletter Member of the PPFA Guidelines task force, assisted in writing PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Canvas, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework. Picture Framing Magazine, 2012

Georgia State University, many classes as a student and educator through the Professional Picture Framers Association and DECOR Magazine. Current member of the PPFA guidelines task force and certification board.

Earned Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in 1996, Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) designation in 2004 and Guild Commended Framer (GCF) status in 2008.