Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Frame Repair for Labarge Mirror

Question
Mirror Frame Crack
Mirror Frame Crack  

Labarge Mirrors
Labarge Mirrors  
Greetings - I have a pair of gold frame Labarge oval mirrors that are probably 40-50 years old I believe. One of them has a small piece of the frame that has broken off.  I have attached a photo.  I was wondering if this is repairable.  Thanks so much.

Answer
This can certainly be repaired, and you have options.

A good framer would be able to make minor repairs to damage like this, mainly cosmetic repairs that may not be a 100% repair, but the damage would be much less obvious and wouldn't be seen unless you were really looking for it.

A conservator would be able to do a repair job that would be virtually indistinguishable from the original finish, even under close inspection. He or she would also be able to cast new ornamentation from other areas to replace the missing finish in the damaged area.

Which option you choose would be determined by the frame's value to you, either monetary, sentimental or historic value.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF