Picture Framing and Art Preservation/hanging picture frames

Question
My mom has a fire place that she doesn't use and she is re-decorating and found all of her children diplomas and we were wondering if there was a picture frame that hung down from the mantle because she wants to put our diplomas above our pictures on the mantle?

Answer
This sounds like a great way to dress up an unused fireplace.

If I'm understanding everything correctly, I know a solution that should be fairly easy. There is a product called Z-Bar, designed for hanging framed pictures, that should work for this. It is an aluminum strip with a shallow Z shape in profile. One length of it is cut and attached to the top of the frame on the rear, and then a mating strip would be attached to the edge of the mantle. The two interlock and allow the frame to hang quite securely.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website which shows the product: http://zhardware.com/index.php?cPath=3

You don't mention if the diplomas or pictures are already framed or not. If not, then ask your framer to use the Z Bar hardware; he or she should be familiar with it. If they are already framed, most framers would be able to switch out the hanging hardware easily.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF