Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Mounting metalic prints

Question
l have recently mounted a metalic print on a board and l have noticed that there seems to be moisture appearing inside the glass.
The product used was Boyle spray adhesive for bonding and mounting photos to backing boards.
l have used this product many times with normal photographic paper and have not had any problems.
We do not live in a major humid climate.
Could the problem be caused with the adhesive not being left to dry long enough before framing?. On this occasion the print was framed within a few hours of mounting to the board.
The back of the paper is sealed with professional tape to make it completely air tight.
Your help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Michael,

I think there are two possible causes of your problems, and there's a chance that two or more issues are working against you.

First, did you use mats or spacers to provide seperation between the glass and the photo? When a slick, glossy surface is pressing against the glass, sometime "wet spots" can appear. These are not actually caused by moisture, but it looks exactly like there are patches of water in the frame. They disappear as soon as the glass is seperated and leave no lingering effects. It's an easy fix but a maddening problem if you don't know what's going on.

A second cause could be offgassing from the photo as the inks cure; this will show up as a hazy film on the glass. It won't cause any long-term harm and can be cleaned from the glass easily. To avoid this in the future, it's a good idea to let any digital (not traditional) photo cure for at least a week before framing.

Relating to the offgassing, there's a chance that the spray adhesive and its solvents caused a reaction with the photo which in turn caused offgassing. It's hard to say, given the complex chemistry involved and the many different possible combinations. Personally I don't care at all for spray adhesives, but if you continue to use them you should give them plenty of time to cure, a day at least.

Hope this helps you track down the issue and avoid it going forward. Please feel free to follow up if you have any other questions.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF