Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Float Mount Large

Question
(I saw an earlier post that almost addressed this issue, but the work in question was not as large as this.)  I have 48"x60" pencil drawing on 120 lb hotpress paper that I would like to float mount. Given the size, I wanted to use Acrylic glass, but I'm wondering if there will be an issue with static, or because of the size/weight of the paper, would that not be an issue. Is it possible to make this work?  Thanks!

Answer
Sure, there's no reason this can't work. You just need to be sure that the artwork is adequately supported and that you have a little extra insurance to keep it somewhat flat against the mounting board.

When you hinge it across the top, use one hinge about every twelve inches. Depending on whether the 48x60 is in a portrait (vertical) or landscape (horizontal)orientation this would be either four or five hinges evenly spaced out across the top edge.

Normally, and traditionally, framers will tell you that artwork can only be hinged across the top. However, hinges can be applied along the sides in cases like this to keep artwork under control. It just has to be done correctly.

I would place one hinge about halfway down on each side, and one an inch or two up from the corner on each side. The hinges will stick out horizontally. Then attach the hinges just like you would the top hinges, except making sure they are a bit slack. This will hold the artwork in place and prevent it from swinging forward or being pulled by static, but it will still be loose enough to allow the art to expand and contract the way it needs to.

I hope this is helpful, and please feel free to send me any follow-up questions you may need for clarification.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF