Picture Framing and Art Preservation/preserving papyrus from moist

papyrus moist
papyrus moist  

papyrus moist
papyrus moist  
Dear Sir
I had bought a 1* 2 meter papyrus "book of the dead" drawing, i posted it on the wall and behind it i put black sheet of cartoon, then glass without any frame....this winter from humidity of the wall it had moist with black spots on it near the edges....and some on the painting>  how can I repair it ??.......please check the attached image
thank you

The black spots are caused by mold or mildew. Removing the conditions that allow it to grow will stop it from getting any worse.

Being sandwiched between glass and a humid wall created constant moist conditions that allowed it to grow, as there was no opportunity for airflow which would have allowed it to dry. So the first thing you should do is to remove it from the wall and glass and allow it to dry out. Once that is done you should be able to gently brush the mold off the papyrus.

Some staining will remain, and I do not know of any safe method that you could use to remove the stains yourself. Ordinarily I would refer you to the American Institute of Conservators (AIC) website to find a qualified conservator in your area. However, I do not know of a similar organization in your part of the world. If you made a few phone calls to local museums I'm sure they could refer you to someone nearby who could help you with it should you desire.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF

I can answer questions about all aspects of framing, with special emphasis on preservation framing. Categories of artwork include works of art on paper, needlework, textiles, paintings on canvas and three-dimensional objects. Components of framing includes frames, glass/glazing, mats, mounting, their features and how to select them.

I have been a professional picture framer and educator in the field since 1994, including framing education for a major franchisor encompassing three brands and the Professional Picture Framers Association, and writing and teaching for DECOR Magazine.

Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) > Board member, PPFA > Member, Certification Board > Member, Chapter relations Committee National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR)

DECOR Magazine, 2005 - 2010 PPFA For Members Only newsletter Member of the PPFA Guidelines task force, assisted in writing PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Canvas, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework. Picture Framing Magazine, 2012

Georgia State University, many classes as a student and educator through the Professional Picture Framers Association and DECOR Magazine. Current member of the PPFA guidelines task force and certification board.

Earned Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in 1996, Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) designation in 2004 and Guild Commended Framer (GCF) status in 2008.