Picture Framing and Art Preservation/antique picture frame

i have a  hand painted, gold leaf picture frame  that says raffaello sanzio at the bottom and on the  sides it says a.d.1512 .is it possible that this is an old masters picture frame? and what could it possibly be worth??

Rafaello Sanzio, usually known simply as Raphael, is considered one of the most influential artists of the Renaissance period. At the time artists worked closely with frame makers to create frames harmonious to the works. The date you mention, 1512 falls within his life span so there is at least a chance that the frame could be connected to Raphael. I would be very hesitant to give you a definite answer based on so little information, much less give you an idea of its potential value.

A gentleman who is the frame conservator at the Smithsonian American Art Museum may be able to help you better or point you in the right direction. His name is Martin J. Kotler and he can be reached at KotlerM@si.edu. If you can send some pictures of the frame it would be a big help. It may take a while for him to get back to you with the current government shutdown.

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF

I can answer questions about all aspects of framing, with special emphasis on preservation framing. Categories of artwork include works of art on paper, needlework, textiles, paintings on canvas and three-dimensional objects. Components of framing includes frames, glass/glazing, mats, mounting, their features and how to select them.

I have been a professional picture framer and educator in the field since 1994, including framing education for a major franchisor encompassing three brands and the Professional Picture Framers Association, and writing and teaching for DECOR Magazine.

Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) > Board member, PPFA > Member, Certification Board > Member, Chapter relations Committee National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR)

DECOR Magazine, 2005 - 2010 PPFA For Members Only newsletter Member of the PPFA Guidelines task force, assisted in writing PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Canvas, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework. Picture Framing Magazine, 2012

Georgia State University, many classes as a student and educator through the Professional Picture Framers Association and DECOR Magazine. Current member of the PPFA guidelines task force and certification board.

Earned Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in 1996, Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) designation in 2004 and Guild Commended Framer (GCF) status in 2008.