Picture Framing and Art Preservation/how to mount a raised relief map

Question
I have a vinyl plastic raised relief map that needs to be mounted for framing.  The size is 39 x 27. We've tried liquid sure-mount, spray adhesive (commercial grade general mist adhesive from silaprene), and had no luck, it seems to just peel right back off. Each time we've adhered it to the foam board it's been weighted and left to sit for at least 48 hours each time. My customer is getting anxious any way you can help? Thanks so much, Andrea

Answer
I'm not sure I've run into this material before, unless maybe you mean Tyvek? Assuming it is vinyl, you need an adhesive formulated specifically for that type of material. Check with a local home improvement center or a wallpaper store for an adhesive meant for vinyl wallpaper.

Also, if you have a vacuum press that may help with the adhesion. Just put it in the press under vacuum, no heat, for about five minutes. If it is raised, not flat, use a foam overlay on top of it.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF