Picture Framing and Art Preservation/picture frames

Question
Picture frame
Picture frame  

Picture frame
Picture frame  
I have a picture frame that I would like to attach a date to.  I have done tons of research but cannot find an answer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Answer
If you really want to dig into the design and history of frames there are some excellent books available on the subject at Picture Framing Magazine's online bookstore, http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/bookstore/bookstore.asp.

The Secret Lives of Frames and The History of Frames would be two very good resources.

I can't say for sure, but from the two photos you posted your frame appears to be a very popular style produced as a fairly inexpensive pre-made frame. If you were to compare it to a vintage frame of the same style, easily a hundred years old or more, you would see a definite difference in the gold finish.

Based on the fact that it is likely a ready-made frame and the lack of oxidation on the back side of the exposed wood I'd estimate it to be fifty years old at most.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF