Picture Framing and Art Preservation/antique reverse glass painting

Question
My grandmother was recently cleaning out her storage room and gave me a beautiful antique reverse glass painting.  It isn't in the best condition, and the original back of the frame is missing.  Long story short, I am worried about the paint flecking off.  I was wondering if spraying the back of the painting with some kind of clear preservative might help it together.  Preservation is the name of the game; this painting has been in my family for almost a hundred years.

Answer
I'm not aware of any sort of sealant that could be used, and I would be very hesitant to recommend anything if I did. There's no way to predict how any given product could react with the paints without being tested first. Considering its age and what it means to you I wouldn't take any chances.

The best thing to do is to speak with a qualified professional conservator about it. He or she will be able to evaluate its condition, recommend a course of treatment and then carry it out. Once it's stabilized it can be put back in the frame and a new backing installed.

You can find a conservator in your area by going to the AIC website at http://www.conservation-us.org/ and then click on Find a Conservator on the right. If you can't find a referral in your area you could contact a local museum for a recommendation.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF