Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Mounting to Gatorboard vs. Strecthing

Question
I'm going to have some canvas prints made and am trying to decide if I should have them stretched on stretcher bars or mount them on Gatorboard or Acid Free MightyCore.
The canvas prints will measure 9"x12", 12"x16", 9"x14".
I'll frame them too.
They'll be traveling with me to a show and hopefully someone will buy them.

If I mount them is Gatorboard ok to use (not going to leech chemicals into the print)?
Is MightyCore strong enough?
I thought I'd use PVA to adhere the canvas prints to the board or should I use something else?
Is there an issue with expansion and contraction of the canvas if it's adhered to a board?

Thank you for your time,
Christine

Answer
Hi Christine,

The prevalence of new printing methods such as giclees and printing on canvas has forced us to rethink how we deal with them. While stretching has been (and continues to be) the preferred choice for traditional works on canvas, the materials used for canvas printing tend to stretch in unpredictable ways and the ink layer can crack even with very gentle tension. Considering this, mounting them to boards is an appropriate alternative.

The choice of materials depends on how much preservation you want. Some would argue that the mere act of gluing the prints down negates any preservation, but if you're producing these for sale you may as well do it as well as possible.

For the substrate I would lean to the Mighty Core since it is acid free and therefore more chemically stable. However, given how very smooth it is you will need to roughen up its surface with fine steel wool so that the adhesive can get a good grip. Otherwise it could just peel right off. You could get around this by using the tan variety of Gator Board but it is not acid free.

PVA adhesive or an adhesive formulated specifically for fabric (Mighty Muck, Frank's Fabric adhesive, etc.) would work well since you're doing exactly that: adhering fabric to a board. Since you're using a liquid adhesive you need to be very careful, since some inks are water soluble. If even a small amount of the adhesive soaks through the fabric it could spell disaster. You'll definitely want to experiment on a few "disposable" pieces.

Finally, I don't see any problems with expansion and contraction. At the small sizes you're looking at it would be minimal, and the adhesive and fabric are both flexible.

Good luck with your sales, and feel free to follow up.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF