Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Hanging a 5 ft painting on an 18 ft ceiling

Question
I have a painting that is 66"H x 50" wide that I want to hang over my fireplace mantel.  The mantel is 56 1/2"" above the ground.  The room has great 2-story cathedral ceilings...the wall the painting will go on is 18-ft high.  How high off the mantel should I hang the picture?  I am thinking the bottom of the painting should be about 7-8" above the mantel?  Or should I hang it higher to draw the attention up to the tall ceilings?

Answer
First I'll tell you that there is no one right answer to this sort of question. Design is a matter of guidelines, not rules, and sometimes going against what everyone says results in a surprising but great look.

I think you're on the right track and hanging the painting so that the bottom of the frame is around eight to twelve inches from the top of the mantel would be a good choice. This way the painting is visually connected to the fireplace, the focal point of the room and the two together will draw your eye up. I don't think I would hang the painting much higher than that; otherwise it could look like the painting is just hanging up there in space and disconnected from the room.

Do you have any accessories on the mantel? If so I would hang the painting so that some of the taller accessories, a vase for example, would overlap the painting slightly to tie everything together.

Obviously hanging such a large painting is going to be a bit of work, especially over a fireplace. I would suggest getting a large piece of cheap brown kraft paper and cutting it to the exact outside dimensions of the framed painting. Then hang it with some small tabs of painter's tape so that you can try out a few different hanging heights before committing to putting hangers in the wall. It will save you a lot of time and hassle and you'll be able to get the painting in the right spot the first time.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF