Picture Framing and Art Preservation/picture frame

QUESTION: Hi I have a picture frame which i have had for about 40 years,it is 1 foot x 13 inches the thickness is 1 and half inchs it is joined at the back by thin slats of wood, the front four corners have leaded leaf pattern,so far i cant find any information about the use of lead on frames.

ANSWER: Hi David,

The age of your frame would place it around 1975 or earlier. From your description of the joining method it might be kerf jointing or the slats might simply be reinforcements. Would it be possible to take and send a few photos of the frame, particularly the pattern on the corners, the joining with the slats of wood and any identifying marks or stickers on the back? That may give me something more to work with so I can give you a more helpful answer.

Thanks for sending in your question, and I hope to see more of your frame.

QUESTION: have sent 2 pictures tried to send 4, forgot to tell you there are signs that sometime in the past it had woodworm.

I have to admit it, you have me stumped. When you first mentioned lead ornaments on the corners I thought maybe you had simply mistaken gilded designs on the corners for lead, but in looking at your pictures the ornamentation certainly does appear to be made of metal. That is something I have never seen before.

I'm very sorry I can't give you more information, but you may want to try the antiques and collectible area of All Experts. This may fall more into that territory than strictly picture framing.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF

I can answer questions about all aspects of framing, with special emphasis on preservation framing. Categories of artwork include works of art on paper, needlework, textiles, paintings on canvas and three-dimensional objects. Components of framing includes frames, glass/glazing, mats, mounting, their features and how to select them.

I have been a professional picture framer and educator in the field since 1994, including framing education for a major franchisor encompassing three brands and the Professional Picture Framers Association, and writing and teaching for DECOR Magazine.

Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) > Board member, PPFA > Member, Certification Board > Member, Chapter relations Committee National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR)

DECOR Magazine, 2005 - 2010 PPFA For Members Only newsletter Member of the PPFA Guidelines task force, assisted in writing PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Canvas, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework. Picture Framing Magazine, 2012

Georgia State University, many classes as a student and educator through the Professional Picture Framers Association and DECOR Magazine. Current member of the PPFA guidelines task force and certification board.

Earned Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in 1996, Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) designation in 2004 and Guild Commended Framer (GCF) status in 2008.