Picture Framing and Art Preservation/archival metallic prints

Question
The print is beautiful in a bright room.  Without a light on it,
it is rather dark. The best light I can give this picture, other than to hire an electrician to do wring, is the
sunlight. I live in Florida,r and I am inquiring if this would damage the print.  Also, for a metallic print, is it best to cover it with glass, or not, to get the best effect?

Gratefully,

Janet

Answer
Great timing! I just got back from a trade show in Las Vegas where I saw a product that might be perfect for you. It is an LED light that can be easily attached to a wall or ceiling to illuminate artwork. It is battery powered and will last about 4,000 before the batteries will need to be replaced. It works from a remote control and can be dimmed and the color of the light adjusted. An inexpensive option that does not require an electrician to install.

Now, regardless of the lighting it is still a good idea to cover art with glass. It will provide protection from dust, dirt and mechanical damage such as scratching or denting. Also with UV protection it will help prevent fading, and if you are concerned about appearance them Museum Glass would be a great idea. It has a coating on it, similar to that used on eyeglasses or camera lenses, that almost completely eliminates reflections and it is virtually invisible.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF