Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Frame-antique or modern reproduction

Question
frame collage
frame collage  
Hello..Here is my question.A few years ago I picked up two of these frames.I am no stranger to woodworking and they sure looked antique or deep vintage at the least judging by the wood and carvings.Its not gesso,all wood.Here the thing and the disconnect.When I got home and looked close....I saw one of those oval gold stickers that said made in china .I couldn't believe it.I still don't I took some of the paint off in a corner for inspection.This was painted a few times..in red and gold underneath.I would like your opinion if this is a period antique or a high quality modern reproduction.Thanks for any info you can share. Arnold

Answer
Hi Arnold,

I hope you're not too disappointed but there are a few things that tell me your frames are modern reproductions. First of course is the made in China sticker. Second, if you look at the back you can see where some short blocks were attached for reinforcements; that's a modern technique found on mass-produced frames. Then you see that they are attached with staples, also a modern material. Also, you didn't mention the size but take a look at it and measure the oval opening. I'd wager that it's a standard size like 16x20 or 12x16. It's very unlikely that an antique would have been made in a standard size like that.

Just a couple other things for background: The red color you see is meant to simulate red bole, a thin clay or plaster-like material traditionally used in gilding. The red color gives the gold leaf a richer and deeper color. Once the gold leaf (or gold paint on less expensive frames) was applied it would be distressed, rubbing away the gold slightly and letting the red peek through on the high points for a gently aged appearance. It looks like someone took white paint to the frames at some point. Also, when you have a rectangular frame with an oval opening like that it's called a spandrel frame.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF