Picture Framing and Art Preservation/4í diameter stained glass on cement board

Question
Hello, I have a 4í diameter, circular, stained glass mosaic (grouted) affixed to a 1/4 thick piece of cement board, and have yet to figure out how to properly hang it.  I had initially thought I would use it as a table top so it does not have a great deal of strength (will bow slightly if not laid flat), but have since decided that I would like to mount it on the wall.  Itís heavy (30#+ range) and is not yet finished at all on the edges (rough glass and cement board).  My initial dream was to have some sort of oxidized copper edging, with additional support in the back to provide strength...but am now open to just about anything.

Iíve asked stained glass experts, woodworkers and people familiar with framing/mounting more conventional items, but have yet to find a promising way to get this art on the wall.  Iím really hoping you can help!  Thank you in advance!!!

Answer
Ok, you may have me stumped on this one, but here's the best I can come up with:

Have a piece of sturdy 1/2" plywood cut to the same size and shape as the mosaic. I would probably trace around it to get the shape since it's likely to be irregular. Sand the edges smooth and paint white or a color close to the cement board and grout. Place the mosaic on the board with an appropriate adhesive.

Create about eight U-shaped brackets out of a sturdy metal sized to slip over the face of the mosaic and onto the back of the plywood. Pre-drill them to accept a screw. Then slip the brackets on, evenly spaced around the edge of the mosaic, and screw them into the plywood on the back.

The plywood will give you something very sturdy to attach hanging hardware to, but just be sure to use something equally strong when you hang it on the wall, and it will definitely need to be hung from studs.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF