Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Standard Matboard on Photo

Question
I want to use a Crescent International whitecore matboard (SRM) on a photo.  Is there a thin material that I can put between the photo and the matboard to make it conservation?

Answer
Hi Diane,

I'm afraid the short answer is no.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this, whitecore mats are made from wood pulp treated with bleaching agents and optical brighteners so that the bevel remains white rather than turning an ugly yellow-brown color. They are meant to emulate the look of better preservation-quality mats but at a lower cost. They are not suitable for preservation framing since they still contain lignin that will break down and release acidic byproducts.

Back before cotton and alpha cellulose mats were widely available in a good range of colors we sometimes put a better quality mat under a standard paper mat thinking the separation would be enough to avoid problems. We later found out that mats are so porous that they really provide very little protection from acid migration, especially when we tried to use a 2-ply mat to keep the thickness down.

I suppose you could try putting a layer of aluminum foil under the mat, as metal would serve as a good barrier, but that's just not very practical and does not address the problem of the cut bevel where acid migration is the worst. A layer of Museum Glass between the mat and photo would work but then you have to space the glass away from the photo and then deal with extra layers of material in the frame, its weight and added expense. With all of that added trouble it would be much easier and more cost effective to use a different mat.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF