Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Getting charcoal on canvas under glass

Question
Hi! In my recent experimentation in charcoal, I discovered black studio pre-stretched canvas boards. Not thinking it through, I completed a greyscale charcoal drawing on one of them, sprayed it liberally with final fixative, and then realized - what the heck am I going to frame it with? It is temporarily in an acrylic box frame. I would really like to avoid custom framing if possible, but I am out of ideas for how to make it work without costing a small fortune. Is there anything ready-made that might work?

Answer
Hi Joannah,

If I were framing it I would likely mat it and mount it with a sink mat. What that means is that I would cut the mat for it just like I normally would, covering up about 1/8" of the board all around. Then I would place the art on a backing board, center it and place a small weight on it to hold it in place. After that, measure from the outside edges of the art to the mounting board and cut strips of foam board to that width, making sure the thickness is equal to that of the art. Attach those strips all the way around the art, trim any excess and place the mat on top. Then frame as usual.

This is something fairly easy to do, and if you wanted to use a ready-made frame you could, and have a framer cut the mat to fit. Just be sure to look for a frame with enough depth; many ready-made frames are quite shallow and would not have enough room to fit everything in.

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF