Picture Framing and Art Preservation/restoring or recreating papyrus painting

Korean Papyrus
Korean Papyrus  

Korean Papyrus
Korean Papyrus  
Hello,  I have a painting I am trying to restore.  The painting was created in Korea in 1982.  The painting was done on papyrus.  The picture appears to have a spill on the bottom right side.  Also, the corners and sides are severely damaged.   My question:  Is there a way to clean the surface?  And, would cutting the worn edges and, perhaps, adding a colored backing, do more damage?  
I am attaching pictures for your viewing.

Hi Deborah,

As much as I'd like to I'm afraid I can't answer your question. This is a matter of working on the artwork and possibly making permanent changes, something that is best left to professionals who have extensive training and education in art conservation and restoration.

To find a conservator who can evaluate your art and make recommendations you can visit the AIC website here and then click on Find a Conservator, on the right hand side of the page. There you'll be able to search by location and area of specialization.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF

I can answer questions about all aspects of framing, with special emphasis on preservation framing. Categories of artwork include works of art on paper, needlework, textiles, paintings on canvas and three-dimensional objects. Components of framing includes frames, glass/glazing, mats, mounting, their features and how to select them.

I have been a professional picture framer and educator in the field since 1994, including framing education for a major franchisor encompassing three brands and the Professional Picture Framers Association, and writing and teaching for DECOR Magazine.

Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) > Board member, PPFA > Member, Certification Board > Member, Chapter relations Committee National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR)

DECOR Magazine, 2005 - 2010 PPFA For Members Only newsletter Member of the PPFA Guidelines task force, assisted in writing PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Canvas, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework. Picture Framing Magazine, 2012

Georgia State University, many classes as a student and educator through the Professional Picture Framers Association and DECOR Magazine. Current member of the PPFA guidelines task force and certification board.

Earned Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in 1996, Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) designation in 2004 and Guild Commended Framer (GCF) status in 2008.