Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Removing backing paper

Question
I have several paintings and prints that are over 100 years old.  I would like to remove them from their frames, clean the glass, and examine the paintings and prints.  However, I am hesitant to cut the backing paper, for fear of destroying some intrinsic value the old paper provides.  

What is your opinion on removing the paper?

Answer
Hi Steven,

Go ahead and remove the paper and don't worry about it.

As a bit of background, the dust cover as the paper is termed by framers, does exactly what the name implies: it keeps dust and insects out of the frame. The problem we run into is that over time lower-quality paper becomes very brittle and tears or just falls apart, especially when handled. When that happens it no longer does its job, so removing the old dust cover gives you or your framer an opportunity to install a new dust cover that will do a better job of keeping undesirables out of the frame.

Every once in a while you might find information from an exhibit, auction house or something similar on a dust cover and these may help establish the provenance of the art. In this case you could cut it off the larger piece of paper and keep with the art. Also, as a courtesy some framers will replace the original framer's shop sticker on a new dust cover if they are doing minor repair work such as replacing glass. Otherwise the old paper of the dust cover really doesn't carry any value or affect the value of the framed art.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF