Picture Framing and Art Preservation/Sugar icing to be preserved

Question
We had a wedding cake made and a poem and pictures on the top which could be lifted off and then kept in a frame.all the work is done in sugar icing. How do we preserve it do we have to have it in an air tight frame.thank you

Answer
Hello Jill,

First, congratulations on your marriage! May you two have many years of happiness.

Now, to your question. I'll have to say that any type of food item will be quite problematic. One must consider insects, mold and mildew, and moisture. Fortunately your sugar icing is slightly less of a problem since it is little more than sugar and contains very little moisture, but you should still consider it to be somewhat temporary.

You are correct that the frame should be sealed as much as is practically possible to keep both moisture and insects out. To do so he or she can use a backing material made of fluted polypropylene, commonly known by the brand name Coroplast. I do not know how readily available it is in the UK but there is a backing board with a thin aluminium layer that will do the same sort of job. This will serve as a moisture barrier and insects will not be able to chew through it. Also your framer should seal the gap between the frame and the backing with sturdy tape, preferably one with an aluminium layer.

Additionally the frame should be sealed at the front, between the glass and the frame. Your framer can do this with self-adhesive tape run along the edge of the glass onto the backing, forming a somewhat tight package.

Again, even with these precautions the decorations may not last forever, but you will still be able to enjoy them for some time.  

Picture Framing and Art Preservation

David Lantrip, MCPF, GCF