Pigeons/2day old pigeon crop too full?

Kelly Psiuk wrote at 2012-12-29 06:27:35
I'm guessing this post is a bit older, but I wanted to add to it for future readers researching the same thing.  My baby squeaker (whom I handfed from day 1) got air bubbles in his crop up until he was about 2 wks old.  From my research, the cause can be from a ruptured air sac.  This air needs to be "milked" out (kind of like burping, except you use massage to gently push the air up and out) or in my case, I needed to do a needle aspiration once or twice a day until the area healed on it's own.  I did not need to use any antibiotics or other type of meds...  my squeaker did fine and is now a fully weaned, wonderful pet.  Also, if the crop fails to empty after several hours, you will need to do a crop rinse (use a small amt of baking soda and warm water to halfway fill, then massage, then turn baby upside down and "milk" the crop in order to get out the old, souring food.  Wait about 20-30 minutes after doing that to let baby rest a bit, then partially fill the crop with just a plain ringers solution.  (I used 1 C boiled water, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp sugar, cooled to about 102 degrees).  Wait until that empties COMPLETELY, then feed a thin formula (can be mixed with plain water, ringers, or can add a small bit of vinegar, apple sauce or plain yougurt..... I alternate those things.)  You may need to rinse the crop a few times until it gets going, and be sure not to over feed....  smaller amounts that are given more frequently and only after crop is completely empty is the way to go.  Once the crop is running fine, thicken and increase the formula until your squeaker is eventually up to around 32-40 CCs every 8 hours or so.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me!

David Ruble

I can answer questions concerning color, genetics and breeding of Pigeons.

I have 30 years experience in breeding pigeons, specifically in creating new colors and new breeds. I studied informally under Dr. Hollander.

none currently.

Pigeon Journal, (early '80's)

former NBRC, FSCRC,and others member