Pigeons/the feathers on a pigeons head

Question
Why do a pigeons head feathers seem to be iridescent changing colors from blue to green to orange and red depending on what angle you look at. why is this so.

Answer
Hi Ray,

It is rather quite neat, isn't it? The iridescent coloration is due to the structure of the feather reflecting light in various wavelengths. It is more of a physics phenomenon. Here's a link to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website that discusses feather color in more detail:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/studying/feathers/color/document_view

Hope this helps,

Stacie

Pigeons

SG