Pigeons/how to build an iqubator

dear owner of this website

i would like to know how to build or construct an incubator as i found a baby chick egg in a nest on the ground (i do not know what is in it and i do not know if it is chick or pigeon or others)i decided to bring it back with me and now i have no idea on where to keep it and now i decided to construct an incubator for it but I NEED THE INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE IT!!! please teach me by using a step by step method and the egg was not cracked.

Hi Valerie,

Was the nest and egg abandoned (have you noticed any adult birds nearby)? It may be best to return the nest and egg to where you found it.

There are several resources on the internet for building an incubator as well as websites to purchase one, for future references.

Here are a few:

Is the egg viable? It is possible that the egg may not have been fertilized, but if it did contain an embryo, it may have died. To check, you can sit in a dark room and hold a light (small flashlight) behind the egg to look for blood vessels.

How have you been keeping the egg so far? What color is the egg shell and estimate of size?

I can answer questions related to health, care, behavior, and breeding. If you have an emergency situation, please take the pigeon to a veterinarian with avian experience. Unfortunately, I do not know much about actually racing pigeons, but I have shown exhibition king pigeons.

I have raised pigeons for over 15 years now. I got started in the hobby by rescuing an injured feral when I was 6 years old and successfully rehabilitated him. From that feral, I actually realized that pigeons were great companions and I had dismissed any previous misconceptions I had heard about them. I have focused my attention to the show king although I do have a few racing homers, utility kings, and MFC helmets. I no longer breed and show my pigeons at the moment, but I would like to continue with the hobby.

National Pigeon Association (past member); American King Club (past member); The Wildlife Society; Wildlife Disease Association.

Mainly self-taught with my own experiences, but I have supplemented my knowledge with books and information from NPA and AKC. Biomedical Sciences (BS), Colorado State University 2010; Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Colorado State University 2014.

Numerous Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed awards in 4-H shows; Two Best in Shows acquired while in 4-H (12 years ago!); Reserve Champion pigeon showmanship 4-H; Best of Show and Reserve of Show in county fair.