Pigeons/frequently bending of neck

From last 2 Months I am taking care of  one pigeon. According to vet dr he is suffering from ranikhet disease. He is eating ,drinking water ,run fm here and there but not flying.i have completed course of medicine present giving neurobion forte and canvitol.when he became excited his neck bends inside from left side.when he is cool his neck is normal.suggest  me some medicine .dr said its a viral infection which attack on his neck.Thank you.waiting for your reply.

Hi Hetal,

It sounds like the viral infection has damaged the pigeon's nervous system which can persist for life. As long as your pigeon continues to act normal in every other way, I would not worry too much about it- the neck twisting may resolve with time. There are no medications available to treat viral infections like this, and supportive care is necessary. Just keep him separated from other pigeons as he may be an easy target to be picked on. Make sure he is able to eat and drink and try to minimize excitement and stress.

Your pigeon most likely had a paramyxovirus (PMV-1) infection, which is similar to Newcastle Disease in other birds. Vaccines are available for prevention. Here's more information about this viral infection:

Here's to a continued recovery!

I can answer questions related to health, care, behavior, and breeding. If you have an emergency situation, please take the pigeon to a veterinarian with avian experience. Unfortunately, I do not know much about actually racing pigeons, but I have shown exhibition king pigeons.

I have raised pigeons for over 15 years now. I got started in the hobby by rescuing an injured feral when I was 6 years old and successfully rehabilitated him. From that feral, I actually realized that pigeons were great companions and I had dismissed any previous misconceptions I had heard about them. I have focused my attention to the show king although I do have a few racing homers, utility kings, and MFC helmets. I no longer breed and show my pigeons at the moment, but I would like to continue with the hobby.

National Pigeon Association (past member); American King Club (past member); The Wildlife Society; Wildlife Disease Association.

Mainly self-taught with my own experiences, but I have supplemented my knowledge with books and information from NPA and AKC. Biomedical Sciences (BS), Colorado State University 2010; Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Colorado State University 2014.

Numerous Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed awards in 4-H shows; Two Best in Shows acquired while in 4-H (12 years ago!); Reserve Champion pigeon showmanship 4-H; Best of Show and Reserve of Show in county fair.