Its Mahreen again .
My pigeon is making noise since whole day for apparently no reason.And this don't let other birds sleep. Though they are in separate cage and also it's annoying to us.Even yesterday they one pigeon was continuously making noise for sometime. Can you tell me what could be the reason and how to keep pigeon. Also as i go near cage it gets fluffy nd in defensive mood.Usually he gets defensive only when he thinks were are to get female pigeon. :D which never happens actually instead we are there to just put food in cups.
Mahreen Junaid

Hi Mahreen,

Pigeons can be very vocal, especially the males when a female is nearby. Were they already a pair when you received them? It can be challenging to control or discourage this behavior. You can relocate the pigeons to another room if they are disturbing you and your other birds and if it is warm enough outside, you can purchase or build an outdoor enclosure that's predator and weather proof to keep them outside. I wouldn't recommend separating them unless they are fighting with each other. They may still make noises when alone. You may also try covering the cage with a towel to decrease light and visual stimuli to help quiet them down, but do not keep them covered for extended periods of time (pigeons love and need sunlight) and make sure they are able to get fresh air (I don't want them suffocating).

Pigeons are prey animals and are also territorial and defensive so when you notice him fluffing up when you get closer (you seen as the intruder), that's basically his way of saying (threatening) "don't get any closer or I'll bite you or slap you with my wings," which they typically do. Fluffing up feathers also helps them appear larger and scarier.

Don't be afraid to ask if you have additional questions!

I can answer questions related to health, care, behavior, and breeding. If you have an emergency situation, please take the pigeon to a veterinarian with avian experience. Unfortunately, I do not know much about actually racing pigeons, but I have shown exhibition king pigeons.

I have raised pigeons for over 15 years now. I got started in the hobby by rescuing an injured feral when I was 6 years old and successfully rehabilitated him. From that feral, I actually realized that pigeons were great companions and I had dismissed any previous misconceptions I had heard about them. I have focused my attention to the show king although I do have a few racing homers, utility kings, and MFC helmets. I no longer breed and show my pigeons at the moment, but I would like to continue with the hobby.

National Pigeon Association (past member); American King Club (past member); The Wildlife Society; Wildlife Disease Association.

Mainly self-taught with my own experiences, but I have supplemented my knowledge with books and information from NPA and AKC. Biomedical Sciences (BS), Colorado State University 2010; Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Colorado State University 2014.

Numerous Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed awards in 4-H shows; Two Best in Shows acquired while in 4-H (12 years ago!); Reserve Champion pigeon showmanship 4-H; Best of Show and Reserve of Show in county fair.