we raise pigeons here and other birds and i was wondering what is the best method to prevent algae from growing in their water drinkers. thank you, also can you provide me with a feed mix for them if possible or whats the best feed for them, we have king pigeons and homers

Hi Stmmfarm,

Thank you for your question! I live in Arizona and have the same exact problem with algae in water containers, especially during the warmer months. The best solution I have found is to stay on top of the algae growth by changing the water everyday and cleaning and scrubbing the drinkers with a dilute bleach solution at least once a week. I also try to keep their water drinkers out of direct sunlight which can facilitate algae growth. This seems to keep the rapidly-growing algae at bay. I am also open to suggestions, if you find other methods that seem to work!

Pigeons are classified as granivores, in which the bulk of their diet consists of various seeds and grains. It is best to feed them a mixture that contains various seeds and grains or a commercially prepared pelleted pigeon diet. You can try contacting feed stores in your area to see if they carry pigeon feed. You can also order feed online, such as from Foy's Pet Supplies. They carry pigeon products and feed; you can visit their website here: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/pigeon-grit-feed-grains to get an idea of different seed, grain, and pelleted mixtures available.

Make sure you purchase fresh feed, free from mold and insect/rodent infestation which can be detrimental to the health of your birds.

I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I can answer questions related to health, care, behavior, and breeding. If you have an emergency situation, please take the pigeon to a veterinarian with avian experience. Unfortunately, I do not know much about actually racing pigeons, but I have shown exhibition king pigeons.

I have raised pigeons for over 15 years now. I got started in the hobby by rescuing an injured feral when I was 6 years old and successfully rehabilitated him. From that feral, I actually realized that pigeons were great companions and I had dismissed any previous misconceptions I had heard about them. I have focused my attention to the show king although I do have a few racing homers, utility kings, and MFC helmets. I no longer breed and show my pigeons at the moment, but I would like to continue with the hobby.

National Pigeon Association (past member); American King Club (past member); The Wildlife Society; Wildlife Disease Association.

Mainly self-taught with my own experiences, but I have supplemented my knowledge with books and information from NPA and AKC. Biomedical Sciences (BS), Colorado State University 2010; Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Colorado State University 2014.

Numerous Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed awards in 4-H shows; Two Best in Shows acquired while in 4-H (12 years ago!); Reserve Champion pigeon showmanship 4-H; Best of Show and Reserve of Show in county fair.