Pink Floyd/Found reel to reel tape

QUESTION: I found a reel to reel tape of Wish You Were Here. The box seems to be an official release by Columbia but i can't find any mention of this release. It has 4 track but i'm not sure if its quadraphonic. The first track is louder than the fourth by 20 dB which a can't explain the reason. SO my questions, do you know about this release, is it a collection item?

Thanks Eric

ANSWER: Hello Eric,
Thanks for the question.  I wish i could see a photo but my guess is that you have a bootleg or dubbed copy of the album. If you can send me photos of it I might be able to answer your question better.  

The box seems quite official. But the plastic reel seems to have been swap since it have been stored tail out. I'm quite sure now that its not a quadraphonic recording because it would have been written on the box as normaly it is.

Hope its help

You would know right off the bat if it was a quadraphonic mix without a quad system.   My guess is that you have an in-house radio station copy. Nothjng was was ever  released on real to real.   I would need to see photos and hear an audio sample to be hundred percent sure.  Sorry for the delay.  

Pink Floyd

The Doctor

I'm recognized, worldwide as a leading expert on Pink Floyd. I'm the presenter and producer of a Pink Floyd podcast called "Brain Damage - the definitive Pink Floyd radio show" at Its been going strong since 2005... even the Floyd know about it (really, they do). Ask away... but please DO NOT ask me to appraise your rare Pink Floyd items.

See "Expertise"... I'm an avid Floyd fan/collector for 30+ years, since I was 8 years old. The sounds and sights of Pink Floyd have had a huge impact on my life.

I've been interviewed as an expert on Pink Floyd by several radio and television stations throughout North America.

BA in Radio from Emerson College