Planning with Primavera/Primavera schedule preparation

QUESTION: Dear Mr Muhammed Alam,
         I am a Planning Engineer,Can u please suggest a book to refer for More accurate planning and Cost Control.

ANSWER: Sorry for late reply,

for the planning there are many books available in the market.I would suggest you to purchase PMI 's "PRACTICE STANDARD FOR SCHEDULING".

For cost control,

Skills & Knowledge of Cost Engineering
Fifth Edition Revised
With New Appendix Listings
Edited by Dr. Scott J. Amos, PE

QUESTION: Dear Mr.Alam,
         Thank you for the reply provided by You before.I started reading Practice standard for Scheduling.I have more Quries,Can u please provide step wise procedure to prepared Planning Package with example.
If I got EPC project of 4000ID Welding and Testing also Engineering and procurement can u please tell how to start??Expecting a sudden reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Dear Ajesh,

Sorry for late reply.It would be difficult to go in details over here.But I would say that:

1-  prepare WBS .this will give you idea of List of activities required .You may take help from the Bill of Quantities.

2- List down the activities.Insert them in primavera.

3- Estimate duration for the activities based on your experience or discuss with site team.

4- sequence the activities based on the logic.

please go through the above and if you feel any further clarification please come back.

Planning with Primavera

Muhammad Taimoor Alam

Questions related to technical tools of primavera, resource loading, cost loading, preparing and monitoring the baselines, contractual correspondence linked to primavera, how to use custom ideas in the programs. Most important is the link between the activities as per given specs and preparation of claim as per Contract FIDIC linked with plan on primavera Plus question related to contracts, regarding claims specially associated with time extension, taxation,deductions on Payment certificates can be entertained.Also questions related to Primaver 6 are entertained.

Experience in high rise buildings planning,contract, execution and technical data of the material to be used at site.And some knowledge about the design of structures. Some experince in roads as well

Worked with five multinational firms.And on high Rise Building project.Currently on a water transmission project in KSA.

BSC in Civil Engineering Certified PMP(project management Professional from PMI) Certified PMI-SP (Scheduling Professional from PMI)

Project Management professional (PMP-PMI) Scheduling Professional (PMI -SP) Member of Pakistan Engineering Council (MPEC)