Plant Diseases/Chinese Pistachio Stress

Tim wrote at 2013-09-12 15:16:20
Hi.  My name is Tim, and I live in SC Kansas.  I have a 2-3 year Chinese Pistache tree that I planted from a 5-gallon pot.  It seemed fine up until this year.  It is a smaller/younger tree than your's, but it also has that clear sap running down the side of it from several tiny cracks in the bark.  In some places, I can't really see a crack at all.  The leaves on the end of every single branch are also turning brown from the outside in and then dying.  But so far it is just at the ends of the branches.  

I also sent a question to Dr. Vann about it but couldn't get a definite diagnosis except to get a soil test done.  So, I am going to call my local extension agent and ask him to look at it.  I would suggest that you do the same.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.