Plant Diseases/Raspberries

I have a raspberry patch (about 4 years old), the raspberries have

been the size of my thumb, using only maple tree leaves as mulch

and fertilizer. However my bushes appear to be dying and the maple

leaves seem to have a mold on them. Could it be the mold on the

maple leaves that is killing my plants?

Tony Myers

Hi Tony,

The mold on the maple leaves does not have anything to do with the problem with your raspberries.  First of all, the mold is most likely a decomposer, trying to break the leaves down and would not cause disease on the plants.  Second, it would be very unlikely for a plant pathogen that affects maple to also affect raspberry.  Most plant pathogens have a very limited host range and would not attack plants that are distantly related.

Can you tell me a little more about the raspberry problem?  Such as when you noticed the damage, which canes are affected (primocanes--no fruits or floracanes--bore fruit), any spots on the raspberry leaves or canes, etc.  With more information, perhaps we can try to solve your problem.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Plant Diseases

Jennifer Olson

Plant diseases affecting vegetables, fruits, nuts, lawns, trees, shrubs and ornamental plants. I have just volunteered as an expert on this site as of 01/2011.

Identification and management of plant diseases. Have been employed as a Plant Disease Diagnostician since 2002 and currently work in the Plant Disease and Insect Diagnostic Laboratory at the Oklahoma State University.

National Plant Diagnostic Network, Great Plains Diagnostic Network

B.S. Biology - Lebanon Valley College; M.S. Plant and Soil Sciences,concentration Plant Pathology - University of Delaware; Ph.D. in progress - Oklahoma State University.

Home gardeners, Hobbiests, Plant Breeders, Extension Educators, Nurseries, Greenhouses, Golf Courses, Departments of Agriculture, Industry professionals