Plant Diseases/Indian Bean Tree leaves

My tree
My tree  
I have an Indian Bean Tree on which the leaves turn black in the fall instead of the Normal fall colors.  I am not sure if it is a disease or a soil problem.  Any information is appreciated.  Linda

Hi Linda:

I am not aware of any catalpa diseases in which the leaves turn black.  There is a situation called "sooty mold" in which the leaves will blacken.  This happens as a result of an insect infestation from insects like aphids, scales, or white flies. To determine if this is sooty mold on your tree, use a wet paper towel and wipe some of these black leaves.  If the black rubs off onto the paper towel, then this is probably sooty mold. Using Google, take a look at this problem on other plants such as gardenia or crapemyrtle.  Sooty mold is a fungus that grows on the excretement of the insect.  You can also collect a few of these leaves and carry them by your local garden center for their opinion.

Plant Diseases

Dr Stephen Vann

Plant Diseases and Disorders of Lawn Grasses, Trees, Vegetables,and Ornamentals

Plant Diseases Identification and Management

B.S. Botany --- Miss. State Univ. M.S. Plant Pathology --- Miss. State Univ. Ph.D. Plant Pathology --- Texas A & M Univ.